Margaret Marston Philipse Ogilvie (1728-1807) wore this dress in New York City. She was the daughter of Nathaniel Marston, a merchant, and Mary Crookes Marston. About 1744 she married Philip Philipse, the second son of Frederick Philipse, Lord of Philipsburgh Manor, in Westchester County, New York. Of their three sons, one died soon after birth. Philip Philpse died in 1768 and Margaret married the Reverend John Ogilvie, an assistant minister at Trinity Church in New York City. Three dresses survive that belonged to her (two of which are in the collections at the National Museum of American History, Behring Center). They date from the time of her second marriage. Both the dresses at the Smithsonian are made of similar fabrics, striped ivory silk with multicolored brocaded floral sprigs. John Wollaston painted a portrait of her about 1750 that is now in the collections of the Museum of the City of New York. Exhibited in the Arts and Industries building in the early 20th century, Getting Dressed from 1985 to 1988, and Men and Women: A History of Costume, Gender and Power in America 1989 to 1991.