Mehitabel Kendrick wore this dress for her wedding January 6, 1814 to Abisha Samson in Newton, Massachusetts. Her new husband was a Baptist minister, and she was his second wife. His first wife had died in childbirth a year earlier. Mehitabel and Abisha Samson had four children. According to the donor, the dress continued to be worn for proms, celebrations, teas and other occasions by descendents until it was donated to the Smithsonian Institution in 1946. It was put on exhibition at that time and was part of the Hall of American Costume from 1964 to 1973.