Locate on NOAA nautical chart
Michigan Island (Old Tower)
Year established: 1857
Latitude: 46 deg 52
min 17 sec N
Longitude: 90 deg 29
min 49 sec W
Whitewashed conical rough stone (stucco) tower and dwelling; closed after one year
1869: repaired, refurbished, and reopened
1919: initial step to move light to a higher tower by relocating discontinued 1880 "Schooner's Ledge light" from Delaware River near Philadelphia; disassembled tower brought to Michigan Island in 1919 where it sat on the beach awaiting assembly for ten years.
1929: relocated 112-ft Schooner's Ledge tower assembled. Old tower darkened October 29, 1929.
1929: old tower deactivated; replacement skeleton style light tower automated in 1943
On the weblink, the two lights can be seen to stand a short distance apart.
Roberts, Bruce and Jones, Ray, Great Lakes Lighthouses Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan, and Superior, (Old Saybrook, CT: The Globe Pequot Press, 1994) pp. 108-109
Berger, Todd R., Lighthouses of the Great Lakes, (Stillwater, MN: Voyageur Press, 2002), p. 127