New Haven Arms Company (Manufacturer)
In 1855, the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company was formed and Oliver Winchester bought stock in the company. The next year, the offices were moved to New Haven, Connecticut and the name was changed to New Haven Arms Company. The Henry rifle was patented in 1860. In 1866 Oliver Winchester bought control of New Haven Arms Company and changed the name to Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
Dimensions / Weight
Dimensions: 8" H x 43.5" W x 1.25" D
Henry Rifle, serial number 6, .44 caliber, forged steel, wooden stock, engraved gold mounting with floral design and engraved cartouche Lincoln/ President/U.S.A." on right side. Top of barrel is stamped Henrys Patent Oct. 16, 1860/Manufactured New Haven Arms Company New Haven, Ct.
This gold mounted, engraved Henry rifle was presented to Abraham Lincoln in an effort to obtain his influence in their purchase for the war effort. This rifle was awarded the National Rifle Association Collectors Society Gold Medal as an outstanding historical firearm.
The Henry, the first practical, lever action, repeating rifle, is the immediate forerunner of the famous Winchester rifles. About 14,000 were made between 1860 and 1866 by the New Haven Arms Company. Only about 1,731 Henry rifles were purchased by the Ordnance Department between 1862 and 1865. A number of units in the West purchased them at their own expense. It was especially popular in the border states of Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri and Indiana. The 1st Maine and 1st District of Columbia cavalry regiments are known to have been issued Henry rifles.