Catalog #: 2105 Accession #: 18190
Credit: Armed Forces History, Division of History of Technology, National Museum of American History
Dimensions / Weight
Dimensions: 8" H x 24.5" W x 1.25" D
Forged steel on wooden shaft.
This trade tomahawk was one used by General Joel Leftwich at Ft. Meigs, Ohio in 1813.
After the arrival of the European traders changed the Indian tomahawk. Originally a tomahawk consisted of stone head bound to a wooden handle. The Europeans replaced the stone with a steel head. These tomahawks were used as trading items with the Indians.
Country: United States
War: War of 1812