Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Oak to the rescue

Enlarge Image
Oak to the rescue

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — Officers and Crew


Oak to the rescue
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection
This letter from September 1925 commends the crew of the Oak for rendering assistance to a family whose pleasure boat had broken down in the fog. The original letter is in the USLHS files at the National Archives and Records Administration.
Physical Description
Letter
Details
Date Made:
1925
Dates Used:
1925 - 1925
Locations:
New York
Credit:
Courtesy of National Archives and Records Administration
History
The USLHS buoy tender Oak was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Bronx, NY, in 1921. Its length overall was 160 feet, breadth 30 feet, and draft 10 feet six inches. Oak was assigned to the Third Lighthouse District where her home port was Staten Island, New York. The Oak's crew maintained aids to navigation in and around New York harbor, including the Hudson and East Rivers, as well as Long Island Sound. They also supplied lighthouses and lightships in the area and provided occasional assistance to vessels in distress. The crew consisted of two officers and 25 crew members, including the engine room complement of an engineer, assistant engineer, and oilers. In 1971 the original engine and auxiliaries were removed for the Smithsonian Institution's transportation collections.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits