Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Around the Oak's chart table

Enlarge Image
Around the Oak's chart table
Negative #: 77-7300

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — Officers and Crew


Around the Oak's chart table
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This photograph of men around the chart table aboard the USLHS tender Oak is one of twelve images relating to the ship that are stored in the Division of Transportation's reference files.
Physical Description
Photograph
Details
Date Made:
about 1935
Dates Used:
about 1935 - about 1935
Locations:
New York
History
The USLHS buoy tender Oak was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Bronx, NY, in 1921. Its length overall was 160 feet, breadth 30 feet, and draft 10 feet six inches. Oak was assigned to the Third Lighthouse District where her home port was Staten Island, New York. The Oak's crew maintained aids to navigation in and around New York harbor, including the Hudson and East Rivers, as well as Long Island Sound. They also supplied lighthouses and lightships in the area and provided occasional assistance to vessels in distress. The crew consisted of two officers and 25 crew members, including the engine room complement of an engineer, assistant engineer, and oilers. After more than 40 years of service, the Oak was decommissioned in 1964 and taken to the U.S. Coast Guard's facility at Curtis Bay, in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1971 the original engine and auxiliaries were removed for the Smithsonian Institution's transportation collections.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits