Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
Buoys at the depot

Enlarge Image
Buoys at the depot
Negative #: 77-7298


This object appears in the following sections:

Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — Where the Buoys Are

Bell Buoy

Buoys at the depot
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This photograph is one of twelve images relating to the USLHS tender Oak that are stored in the Division of Transportation's reference files. It shows two men standing next to a huge navigational buoy that is lying on its side. The part of the buoy that is normally under water is also visible.
Physical Description
Date Made:
about 1935
Dates Used:
about 1935 - about 1935
New York
The USLHS buoy tender Oak was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Bronx, NY, in 1921. Its length overall was 160 feet, breadth 30 feet, and draft 10 feet six inches. Oak was assigned to the Third Lighthouse District where her home port was Staten Island, New York. The Oak's crew maintained aids to navigation in and around New York harbor, including the Hudson and East Rivers, as well as Long Island Sound. They also supplied lighthouses and lightships in the area and provided occasional assistance to vessels in distress. The crew consisted of two officers and 25 crew members, including the engine room complement of an engineer, assistant engineer, and oilers. After more than 40 years of service, the Oak was decommissioned in 1964 and taken to the U.S. Coast Guard's facility at Curtis Bay, in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1971 the original engine and auxiliaries were removed for the Smithsonian Institution's transportation collections.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits