Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Page from the Oak's logbook

Enlarge Image
Page from the Oak's logbook
National Archives and Records Administration

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — Where the Buoys Are

RELATED OBJECTS
Oak crew shoveling coal


Page from the Oak's logbook
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection
This page is from the 1925 ship's logbook for the USLHS tender Oak. It lists the activities of the crew on February 28, a day that began at 7:55 a.m. with loading a spar buoy and sinker at Goat Island, and ended at 4:30 p.m. at Newport, Rhode Island, where the vessel was tied up for the night. In between, the crew delivered supplies to Pomham Rocks Light Station and spent considerable time cleaning ice off various navigational buoys. In addition to the wind direction and speed, barometric pressure, and temperature, the logbook reveals that the vessel had traveled 50 miles and used 6 tons of coal in the previous 24 hours, and that 28 tons of coal remained on board. The original logbook is in the USLHS files at the National Archives and Records Administration.
Physical Description
Logbook page
Details
Date Made:
1925
Dates Used:
1925 - 1925
Locations:
New York, Rhode Island
Credit:
Courtesy of National Archives and Records Administration
History
The USLHS buoy tender Oak was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Bronx, NY, in 1921. Its length overall was 160 feet, breadth 30 feet, and draft 10 feet six inches. Oak was assigned to the Third Lighthouse District where her home port was Staten Island, New York. The Oak's crew maintained aids to navigation in and around New York harbor, including the Hudson and East Rivers, as well as Long Island Sound. They also supplied lighthouses and lightships in the area and provided occasional assistance to vessels in distress. The crew consisted of two officers and 25 crew members, including the engine room complement of an engineer, assistant engineer, and oilers. In 1971 the original engine and auxiliaries were removed for the Smithsonian Institution's transportation collections.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits