Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
The Oak at Curtis Bay

Enlarge Image
The Oak at Curtis Bay
Smithsonian Institution

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — The Engine

RELATED OBJECTS
Oak in harbor, profile view


The Oak at Curtis Bay
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This photograph was taken in 1971 when the engine and auxiliaries were removed from the Oak's hull.
Physical Description
Photograph
Details
Date Made:
1971
Dates Used:
1971 - 1971
Locations:
Maryland
Note:
Curtis Bay, Baltimore, Maryland
History
The USLHS buoy tender Oak was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Bronx, NY, in 1921. Its length overall was 160 feet, breadth 30 feet, and draft 10 feet six inches. Oak was assigned to the Third Lighthouse District where her home port was Staten Island, New York. The Oak's crew maintained aids to navigation in and around New York harbor, including the Hudson and East Rivers, as well as Long Island Sound. They also supplied lighthouses and lightships in the area and provided occasional assistance to vessels in distress. The crew consisted of two officers and 25 crew members, including the engine room complement of an engineer, assistant engineer, and oilers. After more than 40 years of service, the Oak was decommissioned in 1964 and taken to the U.S. Coast Guard's facility at Curtis Bay, in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1971 the original engine and auxiliaries were removed for the Smithsonian Institution's transportation collections.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits