Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
The Oak engine sees daylight

Enlarge Image
The Oak engine sees daylight
Smithsonian Institution

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — The Engine

RELATED OBJECTS
Oak engine clears the ship


USLH tender Oak profile


Lifting the Oak engine


The Oak engine sees daylight
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This view shows the top of the engine as it is being lifted out of the ship's hull in 1971. The three cylinder head covers are clearly visible.
Physical Description
Photograph
Details
Date Made:
1971
Dates Used:
1971 - 1971
Locations:
Maryland
Note:
Curtis Bay, Baltimore, Maryland
History
Built in 1921 by John W. Sullivan in New York, New York, this 750 horsepower, triple expansion steam engine was installed new in the US Lighthouse Service's tender Oak. The steam was furnished by one 3-furnace boiler of the Scotch type using coal as fuel. In 1934 it was converted to oil-burning furnaces. The ship was decommissioned in 1964 and in 1971 the engine, pumps, a generator, condenser, the steering engine, pipes, tools, and related equipment were removed for the Smithsonian.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits