Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Oak engine clears the ship

Enlarge Image
Oak engine clears the ship
Smithsonian Institution

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — The Engine

RELATED OBJECTS
The Oak engine sees daylight


USLH tender Oak profile


Oak engine clears the ship
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This photograph was taken when the Oak's triple expansion steam engine was removed from the ship for the Smithsonian in 1971.
Physical Description
Photograph
Details
Date Made:
1971
Dates Used:
1971 - 1971
Locations:
Maryland, New York
Note:
Curtis Bay, Baltimore, Maryland
History

Built by John W. Sullivan in New York, New York, this 750 horsepower, triple expansion steam engine was installed new in the US Lighthouse Service's tender Oak. The steam was furnished by one 3-furnace boiler of the Scotch type using coal as fuel. In 1934 it was converted to oil-burning furnaces. In addition to the engine, the Smithsonian collected the rest of the Oak's power plant, including pumps, a generator, condenser, the steering engine, pipes, tools, and related equipment. The engine has been on display at the National Museum of American History since 1978.


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits