Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
USLHS tender Fern
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This is one of 11 large photographic prints of U.S. Lighthouse Service tenders in the History of Technology's Transportation Collection files. Taken three days after the Fern's commissioning, this photo shows a profile view of the vessel's port side. The Fern sits at anchor in a harbor lined with fir trees, probably near Winslow, Washington, where the the ship was built.
Physical Description
Photograph. This sepia print is mounted flush on matte board and measures 16" x 11". Along the bottom of the print is a handwritten inscription "U.S.L.H.S. 'Fern,' June 28 -- 1915. . L.F. Wheeler."
Details
Date Made:
1915
Dates Used:
1915 - 1934
Locations:
Alaska, Washington
History
The U.S. Lighthouse Service tender Fern was built in 1915 at Hall Brothers Shipbuilding Company, in Winslow, Washington. Measuring 112" long x 22' beam x 10' deep, the Fern was built to tend navigational aids in the inland waters of the Southeastern Alaska panhandle. The Fern was based at Ketchikan, Alaska until 1934, when it was decommissioned and sold. After its service as a buoy tender it became a freight and supply ship for the U.S. Army during World War II. It was sold into private hands after the war and was put into service as a freight boat based in Seward, Alaska.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits