Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
USLHS tender Tulip
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This is one of 11 large photographic prints of U.S. Lighthouse Service tenders in the History of Technology's Transportation Collection files. It shows a port side profile view of the vessel; a puff of smoke is coming out of the stack. There are several people aboard, mostly gathered on the lower deck at the stern. This photograph was taken six days after the vessel was delivered to the USLHS.
Physical Description
Photograph. This sepia print is mounted flush on matte board and measures 16" x 11". Handwritten in black ink in the lower right is the inscription: "Tulip / Neg. No. 2502 / Print No. 1 / Made Jul. 20, 1908 / N.Y. Shipbuilding Co./ Camden, N.J."
Details
Date Made:
1908
Dates Used:
1908 - 1947
Locations:
New Jersey, New York
Note:
New York harbor
History

The U.S. Lighthouse Service tender Tulip was built in 1908 at the New York Shipbuilding Company, in Camden, New Jersey, one of eight tenders built at the same time. Called the "Manzanita class" of tender (after the first of the eight to be launched), this class represents the first large group of tenders to be built to a standard design. The vessels' steel hulls measured 190' long x 30' beam x 15' 5-1/2" deep. Tulip was based at Staten Island, NY, and tended aids to navigation in the New York harbor area until it was decommissioned in 1945. In 1947 the vessel was transferred to the Philippine government.


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits