Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Transfer validating machine

Enlarge Image
Transfer validating machine

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


City and Suburb: Chicago and Park Forest, Illinois, 1950s
City and Suburb: Chicago and Park Forest, Illinois, 1950s — Chicago’s L


Transfer validating machine from a Chicago Transit Station
Catalog #: 2002.3068.01, Accession #: 2002.3068
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
Machines such as this were used throughout the CTA's rapid transit system, allowing passengers to stamp a paper transfer that provided a reduced bus fare.
Physical Description
Artifact. Red metal stamping machine on a black metal pedestal. Marked “Validate Transfer Here, Transfer Map Up, and Insert End Marked ‘Stamp Here’ in Slot. ” 52” H x 14 ” W x 12” D
Details
Date Made:
about mid 1950s
Dates Used:
about mid 1950s - 1974
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Gift of Donald A. Bruno
History
Chicago's four early rapid transit "L" lines were privately owned and operated, each serving a different area of the rapidly growing city . The first line opened in 1892, the last in 1900. In 1897, Chicago's Union Loop elevated tracks were put into operation, allowing all the rapid transit lines to bring passengers into the city's central business district. The entire system was municipilized in 1947, when the newly formed Chicago Transit Authority took control of most of the city's rail and street transit operations.
Related People, Places, and Events
Donor
Donald A. Bruno

Use
Chicago, Illinois


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits