Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
USLHS tender Anemone
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This is one of 11 large photographic prints of U.S. Lighthouse Service tenders in the History of Technology's Transportation Collection files. It shows a view of the vessel's port quarter. The tender is underway in a harbor and a puff of smoke is seen rising out of the single stack. Several people are aboard, including a man, possibly a deck officer, raising an American flag at the stern.
Physical Description
Photograph. This sepia print is mounted flush on matte board and measures 16" x 11". Written in black ink in the lower right is the inscription: "Anemone."
Details
Date Made:
1908
Dates Used:
1908 - 1947
Locations:
California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York
History
The U.S. Lighthouse Service tender Anemone was built in 1908 at the New York Shipbuilding Company, in Camden, New Jersey, one of eight tenders built at the same time. Called the "Manzanita class" of tender (after the first of the eight to be launched), this class represents the first large group of tenders to be built to a standard design. The vessels' steel hulls measured 190' long x 30' beam x 15' 5-1/2" deep. Originally stationed at San Francisco, the Anemone was transferred to Boston and Wood's Hole, Massachusetts, in 1915, where it remained until its decommissioning in 1946. The following year the Anemone was transferred to the Philippine government.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits