Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Carson Pirie Scott and Co Direct Entrance sign from a Chicago Transit Station
Catalog #: 2003.0074.11, Accession #: 2003.0074
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection

This sign hung over the platform at the Chicago Transit Authority's Madison and Wabash inner Loop elevated rail station until the CTA removed and it donated it to NMAH for the America on the Move exhibition.

Direct entrances allowed rapid transit passengers to enter major stores along the Loop “L” directly from the rail platform.

Physical Description
Artifact. Electric, lighted sign with 5-sided metal case. The front of the sign is metal with the words "Carson Pirie Scott & Co Direct Entrance," and an arrow, cut-out to allow light through. Open- work letters are backed with translucent plastic sheet. 66 L x 18 W x 8 H. Restored and re-wired.
Details
Date Made:
mid-1950s
Dates Used:
mid-1950s - 2000
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Gift of Chicago Transit Authority
History
Chicago's four early rapid transit "L" lines were privately owned and operated, each serving a different area of the rapidly growing city . The first line opened in 1892, the last in 1900. In 1897, Chicago's Union Loop elevated tracks were put into operation, allowing all the rapid transit lines to bring passengers into the city's central business district. The entire system was municipilized in 1947, when the newly formed Chicago Transit Authority took control of most of the city's rail and street transit operations.
Related People, Places, and Events
Donor
Chicago Transit Authority

Place of Use
Chicago, Illinois


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits