Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Mobiloil Sign, about 1930

Enlarge Image
Mobiloil Sign, about 1930
Smithsonian Institution

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Americans Adopt the Auto:
Americans Adopt the Auto — “Fill 'er Up!”

OTHER VIEWS
A Mobiloil sign at a Standard Oil of New Jersey Filling Station, probably 1930s
A Mobiloil sign at a Standard Oil of New Jersey Filling Station, probably 1930s

RELATED OBJECTS
Two oil workers in Wyoming


Mobiloil "Gargoyle" Sign
Catalog #: 335,596, Accession #: 1977.064
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
Mobiloil was registered by the Standard Oil Company of New York (Socony) at the U. S. patent office as a trademark in 1920. The company became the Mobil Oil Corporation in 1966. Although the mobil oil brand became marketed under the now-familiar pegasus, this sign's 'gargoyle' was also one of the ways that the company branded their product and tried to get people to buy their oil.
Physical Description
artifact. 2’ W x 5’8” H x 1/2”D ; circular sign; porcelain enamelled steel sign.
Details
Date Made:
about 1930
Credit:
Gift of John H. White, Jr.
Related People, Places, and Events
Donor
John H. White, Jr.
Donor worked at National Museum of American History. He donated this object in 1976.


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits