Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Oak coffee urn

Enlarge Image
Oak coffee urn
Photo by Paula Johnson

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
Tending Aids to Navigation — The Engine

RELATED OBJECTS
Oak engine room


Officers and crew of the Oak


Oak coffee urn
Catalog #: 1979.0518, Accession #: 1979.0518
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
This coffee urn was among the large group of artifacts relating to the Oak engine room that was brought into the Smithsonian collections in 1971. The urn is unusual in that it was run off the steam that powered the ship's engine.
Physical Description
Artifact
Details
Date Made:
1921
Dates Used:
1921 - 1964
Locations:
New York
Credit:
Transfer from U.S. Coast Guard
History
The USLHS buoy tender Oak was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Bronx, NY, in 1921. Its length overall was 160 feet, breadth 30 feet, and draft 10 feet six inches. Oak was assigned to the Third Lighthouse District where her home port was Staten Island, New York. The Oak's crew maintained aids to navigation in and around New York harbor, including the Hudson and East Rivers, as well as Long Island Sound. They also supplied lighthouses and lightships in the area and provided occasional assistance to vessels in distress. The crew consisted of two officers and 25 crew members, including the engine room complement of an engineer, assistant engineer, and oilers. After more than 40 years of service, the Oak was decommissioned in 1964 and taken to the U.S. Coast Guard's facility at Curtis Bay, in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1971 the original engine and auxiliaries were removed for the Smithsonian Institution's transportation collections.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits