Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Rauch and Lang electric automobile
Catalog #: 309,622, Accession #: 106,301
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This electrically powered automobile, built in 1914 by the Rauch and Lang Carriage Company of Cleveland, Oh., was donated to the Smithsonian in 1929. Rauch and Lang cars were expensive vehicles and were often owned by rich urban women. Some models had seats outside the closed compartment for the driver. The Smithsonian's example was donated to the collection by the wife of William C. Gorgas, who had been Surgeon General of the Army and died in 1920. It is likely that she used the vehicle rather than him.
Physical Description
This electrically powered automobile is a four-passenger brougham, with plum-colored upholstery, solid tires, and a tiller for steering. The running-board mats appear to be replacements. They are marked "Raulang," but the company did not go by that name until 1916.
Details
Date Made:
1914
Locations:
Ohio
Note:
Cleveland
Credit:
Gift of Mrs. William C. Gorgas
History
Like a number of automakers, notably Studebaker, the Rauch and Lang Company started out making coaches and carriages. According to a 1913 Washington Post article, Rauch and Lang automobiles were easy to drive, and the company's product was "the one best adapted for driving by women and children."

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits