Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
"Push" sign from a Chicago Transit Station
Catalog #: 2003.0074.17Ka, Accession #: 2003.0074
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
Enamel signs such as this were used by the Chicago Transit Authority (and predecessors) in stations throughout the rapid transit system for much of the 20th century.
Physical Description
Artifact. Blue porcelain enamel on steel "PUSH" sign. 6" L x 2 1/16" W
Details
Date Made:
1920s-1960s
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Gift of Chicago Transit Authority
History
Chicago's four early rapid transit "L" lines were privately owned and operated, each serving a different area of the rapidly growing city. The first line opened in 1892, the last in 1900. In 1897, Chicago's Union Loop elevated tracks were put into operation, allowing all the rapid transit lines to bring passengers into the city's central business district. The entire system was municipilized in 1947, when the newly formed Chicago Transit Authority took control of most of the city's rail and street transit operations.
Related People, Places, and Events
Donor
Chicago Transit Authority

Place of Use
Chicago, Illinois


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits