Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Auburn Automobile Company radiator emblem

Enlarge Image
Auburn Automobile Company radiator emblem
Smithsonian Institution

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Work and Industry
What is an emblem? — Introduction


Auburn Automobile Company radiator emblem
Catalog #: 325,528, Accession #: 260,303
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
In 1900 Frank and Morris Eckhart of the Eckhart Carriage Company began experimenting with hand-built cars and selling them around Auburn, Indiana. The first production car, a single-cylinder chain-driven runabout, appeared in 1903. A touring model was added in 1904, and 2-cylinder models were introduced in 1905. In 1919, the company produced the Beauty-Six, featuring streamlined bodies with bevelled edges on the side. In 1921, this car became the 6-51 sports model. E.L. Cord bought the Auborn Company in 1924, pushing it to a leading position among American auto makers. Although the company continued to produce well-built vehicles, it eventually collapsed during the Depression.
Physical Description

Dimensions (in mm): 5.0 L x 8.0 W x 0.8 D

Inscriptions: AUBURN Beauty-SIX AUTOMOBILE CO. AUBURN IND.

Materials: metal

Colors: white, blue, gold

Details
Dates Used:
1900 - 1937
Locations:
Indiana
Note:
Auburn, Indiana
Credit:
Gift of Hubert G. Larson
History
Radiator emblems were colorful metal plates with a manufacturer's name or logo that attached to the radiators of early automobiles. Varying in shape and size, but never more than a few inches across, the emblems were small branding devices. As vehicles became more popular in a national market, people began associating the company name and logo on different vehicle models with a specific manufacturer. Radiator emblems sometimes indicated the type of engine or place of manufacturing. Other times they appealed directly to a driver's sense of style and class by using iconic images or a catchy motto.
Related People, Places, and Events
Donor
Hubert G. Larson
In 1964 Hubert G. Larson donated a collection of 278 radiator emblems to the Smithsonian.


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits