Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Dodge school bus

Enlarge Image
Dodge school bus
Smithsonian Institution, Photo by Jeff Tinsley, Negative #: 82-13467

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Other Topics
Words on Things — Some thoughts about words on things

On the School Bus: Martinsburg, Indiana, 1939
On the School Bus: Martinsburg, Indiana, 1939 — Consolidating Schools

OTHER VIEWS
Dodge school bus parked next to the Smithsonian Institution Building
Dodge school bus parked next to the Smithsonian Institution Building

RELATED OBJECTS
Jackson Township, Indiana


Carpenter/ Dodge school bus
Catalog #: 1982.0600.01, Accession #: 1982.0600
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
Thirty-six passenger school bus. Body built by Carpenter Body Works in 1936, chassis by Dodge in 1939. Carried students to the Martinsburg School (grade school) Martinsburg, Ind., ca. 1940-1946. Owned and driven by Russell Bishop during that period. Used as a traveling grocery store until 1962. Streamlined steel body painted double deep or Omaha orange with black trim. Restored by Carpenter Body Works in the early 1980's under the supervision of Ollie Eager, who was Carpenter's plant manager in 1936 and John Foddrill, who worked in the Carpenter plant in 1936. The bus has replacement seats that do not match the originals exactly. The originals were black upholstery. Bus came with extra orange spray paint. **Displayed in NMAH first floor lobby, May-June 1983.
Physical Description
Dimensions: 22'8"L x 7'11"W x 8'8"H Weight: 7510 lbs.
Details
Date Made:
1936/ 1939
Dates Used:
1936 - 1946
Locations:
Indiana
Credit:
Gift of Carpenter Body Works

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits