Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Subway Station Dedication Plaques, Chicago, Illinois
Catalog #: 2003.0074.07AB, Accession #: 2003.0074
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection
This set of dedication plaques was installed in the CTA's Lake, Randolph, State Street subway station until the transit agency removed them to donate to NMAH for the America on the Move exhibition.
Physical Description
Artifact. One set of two glass dedication plaques. A: "Federal Works Agency, Public Works Administration... Chicago Subway, 1943" B: "Initial System of Subways, City of Chicago, Edward J. Kelly, Mayor, Built By Department of Subways and Superhighways...1939-1943." 21"wide x 20" high x 7/16" deep
Details
Date Made:
1943
Dates Used:
1943 - 2000
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Gifts of Chicago Transit Authority
History
The City of Chicago broke ground in 1938 to begin building two subway lines. Work was slow due to construction difficulties and then the outbreak of World War II. The State Street subway opened in 1943, the Dearborn subway not until 1951.
Related People, Places, and Events
Donor
Chicago Transit Authority

Use
Chicago, Illinois

Related Event
Construction of Chicago's subway system (1939 - 1943)


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits