Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Snyder bicycle, 1927

Enlarge Image
Snyder bicycle, 1927
Smithsonian Institution, Negative #: 811

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Technology
Smithsonian Bicycle Collection — The collection 1896-1927

OTHER VIEWS
Snyder bicycle, detail
Snyder bicycle, detail


Snyder bicycle
Catalog #: 309,382, Accession #: 99,530
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection
This bicycle was donated to the Smithsonian in 1927. It was made by the Homer P. Snyder Manufacturing Co., Inc., of Little Falls, New York. At the time of its receipt at the Museum, it was among the most modern types of bicycles then manufactured in the United States.
Physical Description

Artifact. This bicycle has a tubular, diamond-frame and its weight is approximately 50 pounds. The frame is strengthened at the top by means of an additional horizontal member, while the fork is supplemented with two vertical bars at its front. A metal toolbox is placed between the two horizontal members of the frame. Beneath it hangs a metal container for the dry cell for the lamp. A switch is built into the cover at the front of the container. It has hollow steel wheel rims which carry the original 28-by-1 1/2 -inch, single-tube tires, No. 66 E. H., made by the Fisk Rubber Co., of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. Each wheel contains 36 tangentially laced wire spokes, and the rear-wheel hub incorporates a Model C New Departure coaster brake. Both wheel hubs run on ball bearings. Adjustment of the chain tension is obtained by moving the rear axle backward or forward in slots at the rear of the frame. The drive to the rear wheel is by sprockets and a Diamond roller chain, located to the right of the wheel.

The pedal throw, 6 3/4 inches, is nonadjustable. The two pedal cranks are in one piece, unlike the two-piece construction of the 1896 Columbia bicycle in the collection. The rubber-covered pedals are mounted on ball bearings. The curved, tubular metal handlebars, with Grip-Well rubber grips, are strengthened with a crossbrace. A hand-operated Klaxon-type horn is mounted on the brace, and a McKeelite electric lamp is attached to the front of the bars.

The Troxel saddle of wood, leather, and coil springs is adjustable in all directions. Front and rear mudguards, a luggage rack over the rear guard, which carries a red glass reflector, and a stand are provided, but no chain guard is supplied.

The bicycle is finished with orange and black paint and with nickel plate.

Details
Date Made:
1927
Locations:
New York
Note:
Place of Manufacture
Credit:
Gift of the Homer P. Snyder Manufacturing Co., Inc.

National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits