Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Center Market postcard
Currently on display
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection

Center Market , once the largest market in Washington, was located on Pennsylvania Avenue between 7th and 9th Streets. It was built in 1871 and designed by Adolph Cluss, architect for a dozen other public buildings in Washington, D. C. including Eastern Market and the Arts and Industries Building of the Smithsonian Institution. The market featured large airy well lit indoor stalls for 700 vendors, cold storage vaults, elevators, and a public cafe. Vendors sold meats, fish, dairy, and produce until about noon six days a week. With the exception of Saturday, when the market had its busiest day and stayed open all day.

Center Market served Washingtonians until 1931 when it was razed to make way for the Federal Triangle complex of government buildings. The National Archives now stands where Center Market once stood.

Physical Description
Artifact. Color postcard.
Details
Date Made:
1910
Locations:
Dist of Columbia
Related People, Places, and Events
Location of market
Washington, D.C.


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits