Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Madison & Wabash "L" Station House, Chicago, Illinois
Currently on display
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection

This photograph shows the outer-Loop station house on Chicago's "L" at Madison & Wabash streets in 1965. A promotional banner exhorts Chicagoans to “Park ‘N’ Ride the “L-Subway, It’s the Fastest way!”

This station house was torn down sometime soon after this photograph was taken. The inner-Loop station house remains— the last of the original "L" structures over Wabash Avenue.

Physical Description
Photograph. Black-and-white photograph of an elevated rail station house.
Details
Date Made:
1965
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Courtesy of Chicago Transit Authority
History
The Madison & Wabash Loop "L" station houses were built in 1896 to service the Union Loop Elevated Railroad. The Union Loop opened fully in 1897, providing direct downtown "L" service, transfer points between the competing "L" lines, and direct entrances to major department stores along the route.
Related People, Places, and Events
Depicted
Chicago Transit Authority

Depicted
Chicago, Illinois


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits