Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Construction of East Portland Freeway (I-205) bridges over Tualatin River, Oregon, 1970

Enlarge Image
Construction of East Portland Freeway (I-205) bridges over Tualatin River, Oregon, 1970
Federal Highway Administration

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


On the Interstate:  I-10, 1956–1990
On the Interstate: I-10, 1956–1990 — Grand Plan

RELATED OBJECTS
Interstate Highway System funding sign


Interstate bridge construction aerial
Currently on display
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection
Physical Description
Photograph. Black and white aerial record photograph of bridge construction on I-205.
Details
Date Made:
1970
Locations:
Oregon
History

The Interstate Highway System, which began to take shape in the 1930s, was finally funded in 1956 with the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. The project called for over 41,000 miles of high-speed, limited access highways. The federal government supported 90% of its funding and each state contributed the remaining 10%. They changed American landscapes, lives and the way Americans do business. The interstate project also greatly improved the way roads and bridges are designed and built. In 1990, President George Bush signed legislation changing its name to “The Dwight D. Eisenhower System of Interstate and Defense Highways.”


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits