Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Map of the Interstate System and Turnpikes

Enlarge Image
Map of the Interstate System and Turnpikes
AAA, used by permission

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


On the Interstate:  I-10, 1956–1990
On the Interstate: I-10, 1956–1990 — Grand Plan

RELATED OBJECTS
Interstate Highway System funding sign


Map of the Interstate System and Turnpikes
Currently on display
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection
Physical Description
Map of interstate System
Details
Date Made:
1959
Dates Used:
1959
History

The Interstate Highway System, which began to take shape in the 1930s, was finally funded in 1956 with the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. The project called for over 41,000 miles of high-speed, limited access highways. The federal government supported 90% of its funding and each state contributed the remaining 10%. These new highways high-speed limited access highways linked the nations economic and population centers. They changed American landscapes, lives and the way Americans do business. In 1990, President George Bush signed legislation changing its name to "The Dwight D. Eisenhower System of Interstate and Defense Highways."


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits