Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Plan for original Randolph & Wabash “L” station house, 1896

Enlarge Image
Plan for original Randolph & Wabash “L” station house, 1896
Courtesy of Chicago Transit Authority and Graham Garfield

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Communities
Chicago, the Transit Metropolis — The CTA in the 1950s: Innovation (continued)

OTHER VIEWS
Plan for Original Randolph & Wabash “L” Station House, 1896
Plan for Original Randolph & Wabash “L” Station House, 1896


Randolph & Wabash Loop "L" Station House
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection

This original Loop "L" station house was demolished and rebuilt in the mid-1950s.

Physical Description
Drawing. Elevations of the original Randolph and Wabash station, prepared October 26, 1896 for the Union Elevated Loop Railroad.
Details
Date Made:
1896
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Courtesy of Chicago Transit Authority and Graham Garfield
History

In the 1950s, the Chicago Transit Authority explored a number of innovative ways to maintain operations and upgrade service on a limited budget. A co-operative public--private agreement between the CTA and Marshall Field and Company department store led to the remodeling of the inner loop station at Randolph and Wabash in Chicago’s Loop in 1955.

Related People, Places, and Events
User
Chicago Transit Authority

Depicted
Chicago, Illinois


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits