Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
BackSearch
Indiana Avenue “L” station, Chicago, Illinois, mid-1950s

Enlarge Image
Indiana Avenue “L” station, Chicago, Illinois, mid-1950s
Courtesy of the Chicago Transit Authority

IN CONTEXT

This object appears in the following sections:


Communities
Chicago, the Transit Metropolis — The CTA in the 1950s: Challenges

RELATED OBJECTS
Chicago Transit Authority Rapid Transit Rail Car


Indiana Avenue "L" station, Chicago, Illinois
Not a part of the official Smithsonian Collection
This mid-1950s photograph of the Chicago Transit Authority's Indiana Avenue "L" station shows a northbound 6000-series, Englewood-Howard "A" train, and a south-bound Jackson Park "B" train. A few passengers wait on the platform.
Physical Description
Photograph. Black-and-white photograph of the Indiana Avenue "L" station, mid-1950s.
Details
Date Made:
About 1955
Locations:
Illinois
Note:
Chicago
Credit:
Courtesy of Chicago Transit Authority
History

From the early 1900s through 1957, the Indiana Avenue “L” station served as a transfer point to the Chicago Stockyards and to the South side Kenwood neighborhood. But by the 1950s, the once busy Stockyards had closed; ridership was down on both the Stockyard and Kenwood routes, and their infrastructure was crumbling. Both branch lines were closed in 1957, though the main line has continued to service Chicago’s South side.

Related People, Places, and Events
Depicted
Chicago Transit Authority

Depicted
Chicago, Illinois


National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits