Games Learning Resources Visit the Museum
America on the Move
Collection Exhibition Themes
Return Arts and Leisure Communities Immigration and Migration Making the Exhibition Technology Work and Industry Other Topics Guest Curators

The Engine Department
 
Door plaque
Door plaque
The Leviathan had three engine rooms and four boiler rooms.

The Engine Department operated and maintained the Leviathan’s complex mechanical plant, which not only propelled the ship, but provided electricity and steam for the ship’s vast ventilation, illumination, sanitation, communication, heating, cooking, cleaning, and pumping needs.

Commemorative medal (obverse)
Commemorative medal (obverse)

In 1923, the newly renovated Leviathan underwent extensive sea trials to test her equipment and show her off to government and business officials. In honor of a record-breaking day’s run at high speed, naval architect William Francis Gibbs ordered medals for the entire crew. This extra, blank Engine Department medal was saved by long time crewmember and engineer Marcus P. Iverson.

The reverse reads, “Presented / to / [blank] / in recognition of / service on world’s / record run of 687 miles / in 25 hours averaging / 27.48 knots / June 22, 1923.”

Commemorative medal (reverse)
Commemorative medal (reverse)
Door plaque
Door plaque
Some 260 men worked under the chief engineer in 1924, including machinists, plumbers, boilermakers, electricians, and refrigeration engineers. The most numerous group under his supervision were the 120 watertenders, firemen, and wipers who labored in the ship’s boiler rooms.
Previous Page
Next Page
National Museum of American History About This Site | Sponsors | Buy the Book | E-mail Signup | Credits