John Dollond (1706–1761), a Huguenot silk weaver who lived and worked in
the Spitalfields section of London, went into business with his son Peter in
1752, trading as J. Dollond & Son, and making and selling optical
instruments. Dollond’s work with achromatic lenses led to a patent on April
19, 1758, the Copley Medal of the Royal Society later that year, and Royal
Society fellowship in 1761. The firm remained in family hands until 1871, run by
Peter Dollond (1761–1766), P. & J. Dollond (1766–1805), P. & G.
Dollond (1805–1820), George Dollond (1820–1852), George Dollond the second
(1852–1866), and William Dollond (1866–1871). Dollond and Aitchison, Ltd.,
formed in 1927, is still in business.
Ref: Dollond and Aitchison, The House of Dollond. Two Hundred Years of
Optical Service 1750–1950 (London, 1950).