Richard Patten (1792–1865) began in business in New York in 1813, selling
nautical books and charts, and domestic and imported instruments for use at sea
and on land. Patten’s trade label stated that he was the "only
Manufacturer of Sextants & Quadrants" in New York, and that all of his
"instruments in the above line" were "made to order &
warranted being divided on an Engine after the Plan of Ramsdens." Edmund
Brown and Harvey W. Hunt took over Patten’s shop in the mid-1830s, boasting
that while working for Patten they had been "principally employed at making
the best instruments, such as Theodolites, Levels, Railroad Graders, Surveyor’s
Compasses, Circular Protractors, and in fact all Instruments in the Engineering
and Surveying departments." Patten moved to Washington, D.C., around 1842,
took his son George into partnership, and began trading as Richard Patten &
Son. The Pattens moved to Baltimore around 1853, and returned to Washington at
the start of the Civil War.
Ref: D. J. Warner, "Richard Patten (1792–1865)," Rittenhouse
6 (1992): 57–63.