George L. Buff and Christian Louis Berger went into business in Boston in
1871, trading as Buff & Berger and manufacturing "all kinds of
surveying, astronomical, mathematical and philosophical instruments." The
new firm was remarkably successful, attracting numerous customers, and winning
awards at state and national exhibitions. Buff & Berger boasted two circular
dividing engines. The larger, of 3 feet diameter, had been built by John H.
Temple of Boston. The firm was dissolved in 1898, and succeeded by Buff &
Buff and by C. L. Berger & Sons.