This is an aluminum compass with brass sights. The raised rim and beveled outer ring are graduated every degree and numbered every 10 degrees in quadrants from north and south. The southeast quadrant of the face has a variation scale that extends 25 degrees one way and 45 degrees the other, that is graduated to degrees, and that reads by folded vernier to 5 minutes. The western half of the face is graduated to degrees, and equipped with a pendulum clinometer pivoted at the center. There are level vials on the SE and SW corners of the plate. The four beveled edges of the plate are graduated, one to inches and
tenths, one to inches and eighths, and two as protractors. The back of the plate has a diagram showing the arrangement of township numbering. David White Co. termed it an improved geologists' or foresters' compass as designed for the United States Forest Service. The company was established in 1895, and renamed the David White Instrument Co. in 1956. This compass belonged to the University of Missouri at Columbia. New, it cost $45.
Ref: David White Co., Catalog and Price List, 7th edition (Denver, about 1935), p. 37.