Dietzgen termed this an improved type of foresters' and geologists' compass, as made for
the United States Forest Service. It has a nickel-silver base, aluminum box, and brass sights.
The raised rim and beveled outer ring are graduated every degree and numbered every 10 degrees
in quadrants, and adjustable for variation. The western half of the face is graduated to degrees,
and equipped with a pendulum clinometer pivoted at the center. There is a circular level vial at
NE. The four beveled edges of the plate are graduated, one to inches and tenths, one to inches
and eights, and two as protractors. There is a ball and socket joint for mounting on a Jacob staff.
The leather case is marked "DIETZGEN" and "CCC," the latter referring to the Civilian
Conservation Corps. The University of Missouri at Columbia donated this compass to the
Ref: Eugene Dietzgen Co., Catalogue (Chicago, 1938), p. 619.