John Dollond (1706-1761) was a Huguenot silk weaver who lived and worked in
the Spitalfields section of London. He went into business with his son Peter in
1752, trading as J. Dollond & Son and making and selling optical
instruments. He received a British patent for achromatic lenses on April 19,
1758, the Copley Medal of the Royal Society later that year, and Royal Society
fellowship in 1761. The firm remained in family hands until 1871, run by Peter
Dollond (1761-1766), P. & J. Dollond (1766-1805), P. & G. Dollond
(1805-1820), George Dollond (1820-1852), George Dollond the second (1852-1866), and William Dollond (1866-1871). Since the signature remained "DOLLOND / LONDON" throughout this period, Dollond instruments can be difficult to date. Dollond and Aitchison, Ltd., formed in 1927, is still in business.
Ref: Dollond and Aitchison, The House of Dollond. Two Hundred Years of Optical Service 1750-1950 (London, 1950).