William Helffricht (1808-1876) was an immigrant from Germany who arrived in
Philadelphia in 1825. In 1830, the year he was naturalized, he advertised that
he was a "Mathematical, Optical, & Philosophical Instrument Maker At the old established stand of the late Wm. DAVENPORT, Sign of the Quadrant." According to the 1850 Census of Industry, Helffrict and his two employees produced $3000 worth of ships compasses and $1000 worth of other instruments each year.
Charles F. Helffricht (1816-1863) followed his brother to Philadelphia, and
he too worked as a mathematical instrument maker.