Trading under the sign of the Little Admiral, Samuel Thaxter (1769-1842) made and sold a variety of nautical goods and instruments. He was at "the Shop lately improved by Mr. Wm. Williams, at the head of Long-Wharf, State-Street, Boston" in 1792, and moved to State Street in 1793. The firm became S. Thaxter & Son in 1822, and remained in business until 1919.
Ref: M. V. Brewington, The Peabody Collection of Navigating Instruments (Salem, 1963), p. 141.