This instrument was made after 1882 when George Shilling began in business, and before
1907 when the United States Geological Survey transferred it to the Smithsonian. The horizontal
circle and vertical arc are silvered, graduated to 30 minutes, and read by verniers to single
minutes. A level vial sits atop the telescope; a circular level sits on the horizontal circle,
obscuring most of Shilling's signature.