This "Engineers' Wye Level" dates from around 1890 when Brandis was trading as the Brandis Manufacturing Co. It incorporates the center spindle attachment described in Brandis's patent (#201,155) of 1878. New, it cost $140. A card in the box identifies its owner: "George C. Ham, C. E., Sanitary Inspector Connecticut State Board of Health."
Ref: F. E. Brandis, Sons & Co., Illustrated and Descriptive Catalogue and Hand-Book of Instruments of Precision for Civil Engineers, Surveyors and Astronomers (New York, 1902), pp. 72-74.